Tour Duration - 8 hours
Admission to Saint Conan's Kirk
Admission to Inveraray Castle
Travel east along the Road Of The Kings toward Taynuilt. Continue east to the Pass Of Brander where Robert the Bruce defeated the MacDougalls in 1308. Below Cruachan Dam the enchanted islands of Loch Awe gives way to the longest land-locked loch in the UK. Stopping at St Conan’s Kirk and Kilchurn Castle before taking the A819 to Inveraray. Enjoy the stories and splendour of Inveraray Castles before returning to Oban.
Travel through Glen Lonan from Oban to Taynuilt. This single track road meanders through a shallow glen with "wind-sculptured" birch and low rocky hills. During the 9th to 11th centuries it was part of the funeral route of monarchs as they travelled from St Andrews to the burial place on the island of Iona. Ancient duns, cairns and standing stones litter the route creating a strong sense of the past. Clach na Carraig or Diarmid’s Pillar is a bronze age standing stone a few metres from the road and has been described it as the most impressive standing stones in Argyll.
St Conan’s Kirk
This kirk is easily mistaken as an ancient medieval church on the edge of Loch Awe but St Conan’s was only completed in 1930. Walter Douglas Campbell was inspired to build the church as his mother often complained about the long journey to Taynuilt for worship. Walter, an eccentric architect has created the most quirky, atmospheric and intriguing ecclesiastical building in Scotland. It has recently been shortlisted as one of the top ten best Scottish buildings constructed in the past 100 years.
Kilchurn castle was built in c.1440 by Sir Colin Campbell the 1st of Glenorchy and is located at the north eastern shore of Loch Awe. It has had many modifications throughout its life and its strategic location has ensured that it has had its share of inter-clan skirmishes. The distinctive castle walls, the loch and the dramatic mountain scape beyond make it one of the most atmospheric and photographed castles in the Scottish Highlands. The castle was once owned by Sir Elton John.
Inveraray Castle is a country house near Inveraray on the shore of Loch Fyne, Scotland’s longest sea loch. It has been the seat of the Duke of Argyll, chief of Clan Campbell, since the 18th century. The Campbells were politically astute with a canny knack of picking the winning side during inter-clan and national disputes. The hugely-influential clan played an important role in shaping modern Scotland; however, the contentious massacre of the MacDonalds in Glencoe in 1692 has tarnished their reputation and will never be forgotten.
Oban or return to hotel.